Watermelon is a plant species in the family Cucurbitaceae. It is a vine-like flowering plant domesticated in West Africa. It is a highly cultivated fruit worldwide. Watermelon is a scrambling and trailing vine in the flowering plant. It’s a refreshing and delicious fruit that is good for the body.
Nutrition facts of Watermelon
Watermelon contains a number of vitamins and minerals like vitamin B, vitamin A, potassium, and vitamin C.
How to use Watermelon
Make sure to wash the outer part of your watermelon very well before slicing it because of harmful bacteria that cause food poison. Slice your watermelon and enjoy it. You can blend your watermelon with or without other fruits to make smoothies. To make your smoothies slice your watermelon and blend it with your electric blender.
How to Prepare Watermelon Smoothie
Watermelon drink is very easy to make. All you need is your watermelon, blender
Get a bunch of watermelon wash the outer part very well with clean water
- Cut the outer part off
- Slice the fleshy part of the watermelon into pieces
- Put the sliced watermelon in blender and blend
- Pour the blended watermelon into a cup and enjoy
You can add other fruits like pineapple, apple, banana, or any of your favorite’s fruit and enjoy the nutritious taste
Some of the Benefits of eating Watermelon
- It keeps the body hydrated. Watermelon has a high water content which makes the body hydrated makes you feel full. It is a combination of fiber and water without a lot of calories.
- Watermelon is loaded with Lycopene. The cherry red color comes from lycopene an antioxidant, which helps to prevent the risk of cancer and diabetes. To get more of Lycopene choose a bright flesh red. Also, the seedless watermelon tends to have more lycopene those with seeds.
- Watermelon reduces inflammation and oxidative stress. Inflammation is the cause of many chronic diseases. Vitamin c and lycopene are anti-inflammatory oxidants found in watermelon. Lycopene makes the brain to function well.
- It keeps the heart healthy. Watermelon is rich in amino acid called citrulline that may help move blood round the body and lower blood pressure. Regular exercise, limit saturated fat and don’t smoke keep the heart-healthy.
- Lycopene found in watermelon also helps to protect several parts of the eye against oxidative damage and inflammation. Also prevent macular degeneration, blindness in older adults.
- Watermelon has a natural pigment called beta- crypoxanthin. It could make you less likely to get rheumatoid arthritis.
- Watermelon aids the digestion of food because it contains a huge amount of water. It also contains fiber thus promoting digestion and preventing constipation.
- Watermelon prevents heartburn in pregnant women and also helps to get rid of morning sickness. The minerals in the fruit help to prevent muscle cramp in the third trimester of pregnancy.